An opportunity has arisen for the John Speak Language Trust to offer a language Scholarship to one lucky student. To apply for this scholarship you must be studying textiles/fashion design with direct connections to the UK wool industry.
- Are you/do you employ/do you teach a British-born citizen currently learning another language who has aspirations for a career in the wool industry?
- Would you/your colleague like the opportunity to study abroad?
- Have a desire to work in the export wool trade or related service industry?
If the answer is “yes” to all the above questions, please read on……
The Trust, which has been in existence since 1924, was created to assist students to improve their language skills and to further the UK export trade.
For the past 85 years, thanks to the fund, successful students have travelled all over the world to study (and/or work) and learn the language and culture of our trading partners.
The History of the Award
In 1924 Bradford Chamber of Commerce and Industry received an anonymous donation to be used to provide scholarships abroad for suitable students. Many years later the donor was identified as Mr. John Speak, a well-known figure in the Bradford textile industry. Following his death the Fund was renamed The John Speak Foreign Languages Scholarship Trust Fund.
Over the years scholarships have been awarded, many to students from UK Universities who have studied abroad and returned to take their place in the export markets of the UK.
The Trust has funded many scholarships with students based in places like Argentina, Spain, Italy, Japan, China and France, benefiting from an average award of £1,870 each. Scholarships last between three and 12 months.
Applicants for scholarships are interviewed by the Committee (most of who are past recipients of the scholarship and work in the Yorkshire area within export related industries). All are fluent in at least one language and enthusiastically continue to carry on the work of the Trust in accordance with the wishes set out by John Speak in the original Trust Deed.
The Fund also has a Financial Committee, experienced in the Financial Sector and who meet bi-annually to review investments and ensure the continuance of the work of the Trustees.
The scholarships are awarded following a satisfactory interview with the committee of The John Speak Trust and interviews will be held at Bradford Chamber of Commerce or via Skype. The period of the scholarship can be anything between three months and a full academic year. The grants are usually sufficient to cover reasonable living expenses and in some circumstances, an amount towards the cost of travel.
- Natural-born British Citizen
- Over 18 years of age
- Have a basic knowledge of a foreign language (Minimum GCSE / A level)
- Have a desire to work in the export wool/textile trade or related service industry
- Would like to spend time abroad, studying the language, learning the customs and gaining valuable experience to help with your chosen career connected to the wool industry.
- To keep in contact with the Foundation during time abroad by sending monthly reports (written in your chosen language and English) detailing your activities and achievements
- To obtain suitable employment whilst abroad (within the wool/textile trade) and to find accommodation within the local community rather than with other English speakers.
- Submit a monthly report of not less than 250 words to the West & North Yorkshire Chamber of Commerce.
Successful candidates would receive:-
- A financial Award ranging from £500 up to £2,000 towards living expenses
- An opportunity to improve language skills and learn new customs
- Experience living abroad whilst studying a foreign language
- Gain valuable experience to assist in a career within the wool/textiles industry
- An individually assessed application by the John Speak Trust Committee
Debra Patchett – Trust Administrator
West & North Yorkshire Chamber of Commerce & Industry
Bradford, BD1 5AH
If you fit the above criteria and wish to apply, please complete an application form
If you have any questions, please contact us